Sunday 27th January

We've finally managed to get rid of all the snow. Whilst it's been novel for a while, personally I've now glad to see the back of it. Cold weather like that does of course offer up the possibility of some bird displacement and this week we've managed to add BRAMBLING to the Patch Year List courtesy of a bird visiting Steve Goddard's garden in Wolvercote. In my garden this week I've had a lovely Fieldfare as well as the aggressive Blackcap still chasing off all the smaller birds.

Mid-week I went for a walk up the canal to Wolvercote where the highlight was a flock of 10 LESSER REDPOLLS in the Alders opposite the St. Edwards playing fields. I also managed finally to find a LITTLE GREBE with one back on the stream by the Spinney once the ice melted there. On the Meadow itself the two pools at either end of the floods stayed ice free and played host to a smattering of birds: mostly Teal with a few Wigeon and up to four PINTAIL, a few REDSHANK, a DUNLIN, a few SNIPE, quite a few Lapwings and a couple of dozen Golden Plover being the peak counts.

This weekend I wasn't able to get out myself but birds reported included: 7 PINTAIL, 10 or so Shoveler, 1 RUFF, 1 PEREGRINE on the Meadow itself as well as 2 LESSER REDPOLL and 15 SISKIN by the canal and a STOCK DOVE, Tree Creeper & Reed Bunting in the Trap Grounds (thanks to Tom Evans and Alex Martin).



Some of my garden visitors this week

No comments:

Post a Comment