Friday 27th April

Yet more rain on my afternoon visit to the Meadow but at least there was no wind. There was a good passage of birds at Farmoor today so I had high hopes that something might have dropped in at the Meadow but once again I was disappointed. I'm starting to wonder whether the floods might be so large and lake-like that they are perhaps putting off the waders - there certainly is a dearth of them at present. Three SHELDUCK, 2 LITTLE EGRETS, 2 common terns, 22 mute swans and the usual lingering ducks the only thing to report on the floods. I realise that I'd not visited Burgess Field for some time so today I walked a circuit through there and for my efforts I did manage to find my first SEDGE WARBLER of the season, singing fitfully in the rain from deep within a bramble clump. I really must check out the Trap Grounds as the reed warblers should be back now as well.

On the way back home I got a bonus treecreeper working its way along the pollarded willows by the end of Walton Well Road.


A white wagtail, taken about a week ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment