Friday 16th March: Little Ringed Plover

Firstly my apologies for the lack of posts over the last couple of days but I've been off sick. Fortunately I'm on the mend now and was itching to get out today to see whether I could find any spring migrants on the patch. I wasn't disappointed in that I managed to turn up the first LITTLE RINGED PLOVER of the year for both the patch and indeed the county. It wasn't present when I first arrived so must have dropped in whilst I was there. Other waders included the 2 OYSTERCATCHERS, the 2 RUFF, 6 REDSHANK, just 1 DUNLIN, a total of 3 LITTLE EGRETS and perhaps a couple of dozen golden plover. Today's ducks consisted of 1 SHELDUCK, 4 GOOSANDER and 4 PINTAIL with reasonable amounts of wigeon, teal and shoveler still about. The gull roost was predictably small with just a single common gull worthy of mention.



Something as momentous as the first little ringed plover of the year needs to be commemorated even if it is through some rather grotty digiscoped footage (it was getting pretty dark by the time I found it and it was about 100 yards away which explains the poor quality). I think that these are amongst my most favourite Meadow birds and so to have them return each spring is extra special for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment