Friday 23rd March: Little Ringed Plover

An absolutely gorgeous spring day today, in fact I was far too hot in my winter coat when I went for a lunch-time visit to the floods. I was rewarded for my efforts with the second LITTLE RINGED PLOVER of the year which once again was on the patch of short grass to the North West of the Burgess Field gate. Apart from this the 2 OYSTERCATCHERS and 4 REDSHANK were still about as were about 4 PINTAIL. It's all getting very quiet on the floods now as the wintering ducks drift away and the fair weather means that migrants keep on going rather than dropping in though I hope that we manage to entice some decent birds to drop in as the floods are looking pretty good at present. Chiffchaffs are singing in quite a few locations now and I heard them in the Trap Grounds, the Spinney and Burgess Field this morning. I forgot to mention that I spotted a kingfisher by the moored boats earlier on in the week - always a nice bird to see.

I was lucky enough to be treated to crippling views of a couple of treecreepers that were feeding in trees right next to the pavement by the Spinney today.

No comments:

Post a Comment