Monday 10th July

A morning run around the patch, the first visit since my visit down to Cornwall last week. The floods are in their death throws with just two small flooded areas though there was still enough to attract 5 REDSHANK and 7 common terns (2 adults and 5 juveniles) though the little ringed plovers seemed to have moved on. Unfortunately I found a black-headed gull that was very sick, sick enough for me to be able to pick it up without protest. I took it home hoping to take it to St. Tiggywinkles should it survive any time but it died within the hour. Burgess Field held plenty of gatekeeper butterflies as well as some essex skippers. The marbled whites seem nearly to be finished now though I did spot a couple still out on the wing.

The hapless black-headed gull

No comments:

Post a Comment