Monday 22nd January

I did the monthly Port Meadow WeBS survey (Wetland Bird Survey) today. The recent rain had meant that the river had breached its banks and indeed it was still rising as I found to my cost when I had to wade back over my boots where it had been OK on the way out! There were plenty of birds to count including an amazing number of Teal. Below are the full tallies

Redshank 3  (on their usual log by the Poplar trees)
Shelduck 2
Pintail 47
Goosander 2
Mallard 156
Moorhen 3
Greylag Goose 430
Canada Goose 17
Cormorant 3
Black-headed Gull 41
Lesser Black-backed Gull 14
Lapwing 231
Mute Swan 7
Great Crested Grebe 2
Teal 979
Wigeon 460
Kingfisher

In passing I spotted the STONECHAT, still down near the Weir Cottage bridge - it's nice to know that it's still with us. Having spent two hours doing the survey I didn't venture down there again but Thomas Miller did the evening gull roost and found a nice 2nd winter CASPIAN GULL for his troubles.

2nd winter Caspian Gull



 

No comments:

Post a Comment