Wednesday 20th April

A reasonable couple of days with just enough birdage to keep it interesting. The two GARGANEY are still about and very much at home (I suspect that I must have missed them on Monday). There are still six or so noisy and quarrelsome OYSTERCATCHERS and the two COMMON TERN are still present as well. Yesterday Mary MacDougall went for a walk along the river and found four COMMON SANDPIPER (a year tick) and a REDSHANK there - it's interesting how they were preferring the river shoreline to the floods. I went to check today but sadly there was no sign of them though for my trouble I did find a couple of YELLOW WAGTAILS and our first WHITE WAGTAIL of the year. The Swallows are back on the Meadow and look to be starting to think about nesting. There are plenty of HOUSE MARTINS around now so they're well and truly "in" - it's just the Swifts that we're now waiting for on that front.

Grasshopper Warblers are now starting to appear in the county though sadly these days I find it difficult to hear them so once again I'm relying on younger ears to try and find them. Sadly, many of our student birders seem to have moved on but I hope that someone will be able to route one out. 

A recently-photographed Sparrowhawk in Burgess Field

No comments:

Post a Comment