10th January

I'm chipping away at the year list, ticking off the relatively common birds that I'd expect to see at this time of year and have now got the year list up to 57 though there are still lots of easy ticks around that I just haven't personally come across yet.

When it was frozen a few days ago I headed over to the Trap Grounds to see if I could winkle out a WATER RAIL and I'm pleased to report that not only did I hear one but I actually saw one scuttling between the reeds in front of the screen pool. 

A couple of people reported the presence of a PINTAIL on the floods at the start of the year and today there were a pair of drakes asleep on the floods along with a couple of YELLOW-LEGGED GULLS.

The highlight of the last few day though was a flock of 30 BARNACLE GEESE, spotted by Steve Goodard late on yesterday though as before they were gone by first light.

A Grey Heron along the Castle Mill stream

No comments:

Post a Comment