29th January

I'm still chipping away at the year list, an activity which always livens up an otherwise rather dull month. To that end I managed to find a NUTHATCH at Medley farm last week and a Fieldfare that I heard fly over the Castle Mill stream which Mary MacDougall later saw over by Burgess Field. Sparrowhawk has now been seen on a few occasions and Steve Goddard has reported Stock Dove in his garden up in Wolvercote. Finally this morning I managed to find a Coal Tit singing away in a neighbour's garden - this is a surprisingly difficult species to catch up with on the Patch.

One of the regular Redshank roosting on its usual perch

So what do we still need that I would expect to get at this time of year? Here's the list of things to keep an eye out for. Many are only a matter of time before they turn up. Do let me know if you seen any of them.

Great Crested Grebe (surprisingly haven't seen one on the river so far)
Lesser Redpoll
Chiffchaff
Sky Lark
Little Egret
Peregrine
Curlew (usually in February)
Tufted Duck (Wolvercote Lakes?)
Black-tailed Godwit
Dunlin
Gadwall



1 comment:

  1. Tufted Ducks have indeed been present on Wolvercote Lakes; and I flushed a Skylark on Tuesday while out on a run on the north end of the Meadow.

    ReplyDelete